Thousands of WordPress sites got hacked daily as they are constantly attacked by hackers. Larger firms and corporate companies pay a large amount of money for their site security audit but what should the average blogger do to make his/her WordPress blog secure? Don’t worry; in our previous post, we have discussed 10 easy tips make your WordPress blog Secure, but some steps were difficult enough to perform by an average WordPress blogger or novice user. Here we’ve come up with some best WordPress security plugins to take care of your blog security with ease.
These handy WordPress plugins offers an array of features to make your blog secure against any malicious activity, malware and threats. If you’re serious about your WordPress blog security, you’re at right place.
01. WordFence Security Plugin
In the list of Top 5 security plugins for WordPress, WordFence is on the top of our list because of its ultimate features which not only make your WordPress blog secure but also make it fast up to 50 time (as claim by the developers of this plugin) by using Falcon Caching engine.
WordFence make your site secure by doing a deep scan of your blog’s source code of all the files, plugins & themes and match it with the WordPress Official code for themes, core and plugins to know if there is any malicious code there. In case if the plugin found any malicious code or malware in the source code or in the server, it will notify the webmaster immediately you via email notification.
The plugin also let you to set 2-factor authentication through SMS. This prevents your blog from Bruteforce attack. Both free and paid premium version of the plugin are available.
Some handy features of this plugin include:
- Improved Login security using 2-Factor Authentication
- Let you block traffic from specific IP, Region or Country
- Let you block fake traffic and bots with its firewall
- Scan the hosting server as well for any malware
- Instant Email Notification in case of any Threat.
- Make your Site faster using Falcon Caching System.
- Scan and repair any damaged file
- Multi-site support let you monitor and manage multiple sites from on Dashboard.
Download WordFence Security Plugin
02. Sucuri Security Plugin
Developed by Sucuri Inc, a trusted name in web security, Sucuri Security is the plugin of choice for WordPress used by many bloggers not only to make their blog safe and secure but to track all the activities either safe or malicious by users or visitors. The plugin keep the record of logins and changes to your blog so you can easily identified that what happened in case if something go wrong.
When installed, this plugin is actively scans and protect websites from malicious attacks like bruteforce attacks, DOS attacks, Zero Day Disclosures attacks and many more. In addition to this, the plugin also keep a record of all the activities on your site in a log file stored in Sucuri cloud. The plugin scan your site against various blacklist incorporated from Sucuri Labs, Google Safe Browsing, McAfee Site Advisor and Norton.
Other useful features of Sucuri Security plugin include
- Track users / visitors activities and keep them in a log at Secure Cloud
- Scan Core WordPress files for integrity and abnormalities.
- Website firewall
- Malware scanning
- Blacklist monitoring
- Security activity auditing
- Instant Email notification
Note: Not all of the features listed above are free; some availed only on premium version. Download Sucuri Security Plugin
03. iThemes Security Plugin
Formerly known as Better WP Security, iTheme is the most robust WordPress security plugins that make your site safe by protecting it from 30+ different angles. The plugin has many small but unique features to keep your site secure such as hiding the username that the hackers can use in bruteforce attack, hiding login page, 2-step authentication, password expiration and Google reCAPTCHA, all to keep your blog safe and secure from hackers and spammers. Both free and premium versions of this plugin are available; here are some robust features of iTheme WordPress Security plugin:
- Easy user interface make it easy to use for Novice bloggers
- Two-Factor Authentication Using Authy or Google Authenticator
- Monitor and record the activity of users to track the changes in WordPress files
- Import / Exports Security Setting to save time if you’re using iTheme on multiple WordPress blog
- Helps you generate strong Password and to set expiration for existing password
- Uses Google reCAPTCHA to protect your site from spam comments
- Hide the login and admin pages
- Remove user or any other information that hackers can use in bruteforce attack
- Scan your site for any malware and vulnerabilities
- Helps you to take regular backups of your database
- Prevents Brutforce attacks and ban the IP which try brutforce attack on your blog
Download iTheme Security Plugin
04. All In One WP Security & Firewall Plugin
As the Name suggests, All in One WP Security & Firewall is not only the plugin but a firewall to protect your site from malicious activities and malwares. All in One WP Security Plugin and Firewall has many unique features to check and inform you for any actual or potential vulnerability in your WordPress blog security.
Most of the features of All in One WP Security and Firewall are same as offered by iTheme WP Security but the feature which I most like about All in One WP Security & Firewall plugin is the its site security score meter that is added to the WordPress dashboard. The meter gives a score to your blog based on how secure your site is, so you can take some measurable action to further improve your blog security.
Some unique features of All In One WP Security & Firewall includes:
- Add Security score meter to your dashboard.
- Protect against bruteforce attacks
- Lockdown IPs which tries bruteforce attacks
- Instant email notification in case of brutforce attacks
- Forces Strong password generation
- Allows schedule automatic backup of your database.
- Adds a firewall to prevent various attacks and security threats like SQL injection, Malicious bots attacks, Bad query strings, prevent CSRF, XSS and many other security threats.
Download All in One WP Security & Firewall Plugin
05. BulletProof Security Plugin
Last but not least, BulletProof WordPress Security plugin has many unique security features that many plugins lack. When installed, this plugins adds Login Security, Database security and a Firewall along with other security layers. With a simple user interface, your WordPress security is a matter of few clicks. The plugin will take care of your blog security and you just relax.
BulletProof Security Plugin limits the failed login attempts in case of Brutforce attacks and ban security scanners, fake traffic and bots, Block IPs and many more. Other then the pro security measures, the plugin also optimize the WordPress blog performance and speed by adding cache.
Some highlighted features of BulletProof WordPress Security plugin are following:
- .htaccess Protection
- Built-in file manager for .htaccess file
- Login Monitoring and Security
- Database backups: Full or partial, scheduled or manual
- Delete old backups to save your disk storage
- Database Table prefix changer to hide and secure it from hackers
- Optimizes site performance by adding caching
- Come with 3 Theme Skins to look better
Well these all are the features available with free version of BulletProof Security plugins, many pro features are available on paid premium version. Download BulletProof Security Plugin
Some other important security measures
To have better WordPress blog security, also follow and apply these security measures:
- Use a Secure Hosting
- Keep all the things updates including WordPress Version, Plugins and Themes
- Choose a Strong Password
- Never use admin as username and hide the user Names from public
- Enable 2-Step Authentication
- Limit login attempts to prevent brutforce attacks
- Don’t ever use any pirated themes or plugins
- Take frequents backups of your files and database.
Read here the full article on 10 Easy Tips To Boost WordPress SecurityRead More »