Some Mind blowing facts About Twitter Users
- In the end of 2014, Twitter has 319 million user’s accounts (more than 10% of total internet population) which are growing at the rate of 470,000 new accounts a day.
- If don’t have Twitter account and just sign up for one now and, at the end of the week, you will still be ahead of 3.2 million people.
- However Twitter head office is based in San Francisco, 70% of all traffic to Twitter come from outside the United State, with most users from China. China has over 38 million Twitter users.Advertisements
- Among 319 millions Twitter Users, frequent Twitter users are male at the age between 25 – 35 years.
- More than 80% users access their Twitter accounts through mobile devices.
Incredible Data about Number of Tweets
- How active are you on Twitter. Well I Tweets 3 to 4 times a day, some may even tweets 100 times a day while other not at all. Mark Zuckerberg (the founder of Facebook) has tweeted only 19 times. If we compare all the tweets vs. the active users, an average Twitter user has sent 307 tweets.
- On an average, 6000 Tweets are sent in a second which means that there are more than 500 million tweets are sent every day. That’s a huge number and it will only take 2 to 3 days to reach billion tweet sent.
- The number of tweets / second is not same at all the time and may fluctuate. In Japan on 3rd August, 2013, there were records 143, 199 tweets sent.
- Initially when the Twitter was not so popular, it took almost 3years and 2 months to get the billionth tweet. The first billionth tweet was made in May 2009. In the start of 2015, there would be billions of tweets every day.
- Since the beginning of the Twitter, there are more than 450 billion tweets have been made and sent. That’s a mind blowing figure.
What about Retweets
- When you like someone tweet, you retweet that. In the history of Twitter, the most retweeted tweet till to date is the all-star selfie by Ellen DeGeneres from Oscar 2014. The all star selfie has retweeted 3.4 million time and broke the record of Obama’s Victory tweet (800K) in just 34 minutes.
- While the Ellen made the history making selfie from one of Samsung Smartphone, the company donates $3 million to a charity in the honor of 3 million retweets of Ellen’s selfie.
When the Twitter Shutdown
- The Twitter is shutdown temporarily two times due to traffic overload. Once when the Ellen’s all star selfie were retweeted abruptly and second after the death pop singer of Michael Jackson when the story broke out.
The Game of Followers and Following
- On an average, each Twitter account has 210 followers. But there are thousands of accounts with over 1 million followers.
- The first Twitter user who reaches 1 million followers is Ashton Kutcher. He gains 1 million followers in April 2009 when the Twitter didn’t reach 1 billionth tweet.
- 80% of the most followed accounts belong to celebrities and singers.
- The user with most followers is the American singer Katy Perry. Katy Perry has 59 million followers.
- Other most followed users are Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga. Collectively these three singers have more followers on Twitter than the total population of Germany, Canada, Turkey, Argentina, Egypt and South Africa.
- The most popular and followed brand is YouTube. YouTube has more than 46 million followers.
- On the other hand, the user who has more following is ArabicBest with 2.4 million followings. HootSuit (social media Management Company) comes second in the rank and has followed 1.6 million twitter accounts.
The story behind 140
- Why Tweet Length is restricted to 140 characters? Since the company was founded as an SMS service, the character limit in a tweet was restricted to 140 words.
Twttr, Twitter or Twittter?
- Twitter was initially introduced as “Twttr” in March 2006 which is later change to what it is now “Twitter” in July 2006 and then launched for public.
- The company also holds misspells of the “Twitter” with an extra “T” i.e. Twittter and with a missing “T” i.e. Twiter. You can access the Twitter with both Twittter and Twiter
- You may well aware of the iconic bird appears in Twitter logo and everywhere on the site. Did you know his name? The official name for this little fellow is “Larry” or you may call him “Larry Bird”
Some Fact from Marketing Point of View
- Since you may tweet text, image or infographics for brand marketing, texts with hashtags have 2x engagements as compared to those without hashtags. Images are 5 time more engagement rate as compare to text tweets. Infographics is dominating the engagement rate and get 800% more retweets as compared to both text and images tweets. So make some cool infographics if you want brand awareness and marketing with Twitter
Something about Retweet, HasgTags and Apps
- Did you know that the Hashtag, Retweets feature and even the Twitter mobile app is not created by Twitter, but developed by the developers in Twitter ecosystem.
Twitter on Facebook, Facebook on Twitter
- Did you know, the Facebook has an official account on Twitter with 14 million followers while Twitter has a Facebook page with 15.2 million fans.